bakedJan 1, 2021
Prep time: 45 min.
Cook time: 90 min.
- Flour, 2 cups plus extra to flour work surface
- Sugar, 2 tbs for savory or 1/2 cup for sweet
- Salt, 1/2 tsp.
- Baking powder, 1 tbs.
- Butter, 1/2 cup grated
- Buttermilk, 1/2 cup
- Egg, 1 large
- Mix ins, 1-1 1/2 cups
For sweet lemon scones
- Vanilla extract, 1 1/2 tsp.
- Lemon, juice from half lemon
For savory cheese and jalapeno scones
- Cheese, 1 cup shredded (Cabot New York Extra Sharp Cheddar)
- Jalapeno peppers, 1/4 cup chopped
- Large mixing bowl
- Small mixing bowl
- Measuring cups + spoons
- Plastic wrap
- Cookie sheet
- Parchment paper
- Grate frozen butter
- Grate cheese, for savory
- Chop jalapeno peppers, for savory
Sift dry ingredients into large mixing bowl and mix: flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder.
Mix wet ingredients in small mixing bowl: buttermilk and egg.
Mix in grated frozen butter to dry ingredients.
Mix in wet ingredients.
Add mix ins: vanilla and lemon juice for sweet, cheese and jalapeno for savory.
Mix until well combined.
Flour work surface and shape dough into wedges.
Wrap with plastic and refrigerate for at least 15 minutes.
Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
Bake at 400F for 18-26 minutes.
Cool before serving.